Author Notes: What goes best with cheese....? Crackers of course! I am always in search for tasty crackers, but these beat any store bought variety! Try these home made crackers that are decidedly light and crispy. You probably have most of the ingredients already on hand!
See my blog post: http://cheesepleasebyjess.blogspot.com/2011/08/rosemary-sea-salt-crackers.html —CheesePlease
Makes: 45 crackers
cups all purpose flour
cup white whole wheat flour
teaspoon table salt
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly spray two baking sheets with cooking spray. Mix rosemary and sea salt in a small bowl. Mix all purpose flour, white whole wheat flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add olive oil to the bowl with flour and salt mixture, and then slowly add the water. Stir with a rubber spatula until the dough comes together (sometimes it helps to press the dough against the side of the bowl).
- Divide the dough into three balls. Cover two of the balls with some saran wrap and set aside while you work the first ball.
- Lightly flour your work space and with your fingers press the dough into a flat oval. Use a rolling pin to further roll out the dough. I suggest using one because you want the dough to be pretty thin.
- With a cookie cutter or biscuit press, cut out each cracker and place on baking sheet. Continue to do so for each ball of dough, or in batches depending on the size and how many baking sheets you use.
- Lightly brush the top of the dough with some water and sprinkle the top of each cracker with the rosemary sea salt mixture. Be careful not to over season the crackers. Bake for 8-10 minutes till slightly golden. Remove and let cool.