If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wanted to take advantage of the last of the beautiful plums at the farmers market. For this recipe I used locally grown methley plums, they are tiny, sweet and delicious. They have a beautiful red flesh and a wonderful sweet/tart flavor. I made Julia Childs galette dough and cut into rounds baking until golden brown and layered with the cooked plums. Use your favorite pastry recipe instead of this one if you like. Serve with ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream I would not recommend piling it 3 high, 2 is manageable. —sdebrango
The plums and galette dough
- 1/2 pound plums sliced with skin on (10 small plums)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon plum brandy (OPTIONAL)
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 3 tablespoons full fat sour cream
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (Plugra is good)
- Make the dough first, in a measuring cup add the ice water and sour cream. Stir and refrigerate. In mixing bowl add the dry ingredients, whisk to combine. Add the butter and with a pastry cutter (or you can use a food processor) cut in the butter until it resembles crumbs. Now stir in the liquid, stir with fork to combine. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or more.
- Put the butter into a skillet and heat until melted. Add the sliced plums, turbinado sugar, pinch of salt and optional plum brandy. Cook the plums until the sugar is melted stirring frequently. You only need to cook for 2-3 minutes as you want the fruit to retain its shape. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
The dough and assembling the dessert
- galette dough
- cooked plums
- egg beaten with splash of water for egg wash
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment. Make your egg wash by beating one egg with a splash of water, set aside.
- On floured surface roll out your dough to 1/4 inch thick. Using a large biscuit cutter or a glass cut out rounds and place on baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart. Brush each with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Place in freezer for 10 minutes before baking. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.You can make these ahead of time just cover with parchment until you are ready to assemble.
- To assemble: Take some of the plum juices and spoon onto plate, lay one of the rounds, add some plums and repeat. I recommend 2 layers. Add a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream and serve.