Makes 8 servings
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 cup plus 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 1/2 pounds unpeeled peaches, halved, pitted, each peach half cut into 6 slices
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups flour and salt. Cut in 1 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, one tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Divide into two balls and wrap in plastic, refrigerating for at least 4 hours.
- Position oven rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 400 Degrees F. Combine 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla bean in processor; blend until vanilla bean is finely minced. Sift vanilla sugar through strainer into bowl; discard any large pieces. Mix 4 tablespoons flour and nutmeg into vanilla sugar. Add peaches to mixture and toss to coat.
- Take 1 of the 2 dough balls and roll out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place dough in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of pie plate. Spoon peach filling into dough; dot with 1/3 cup butter. With the other dough ball, create a lattice for top of pie. Brush top of pie with egg and sprinkle 3 teaspoons of sugar on top.
- Place pie on rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour until peaches are tender, crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling through lattice. Transfer pie to rack and cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart