If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an all-time family favorite recipe. I love this crust recipe — just delicious. And a thin layer of frangipane complements the peaches so nicely.
This recipe yields enough for 2 galettes, but it halves well. If you want to only make one galette, I suggest making the full dough recipe and freezing one round for a future galette adventure, then halving the frangipane and peach quantities. —Alexandra Stafford
Food52 Review: I think of galettes as "rustic" and I'd classify this recipe as "shabby chic"! It’s a very easy and delicious way to use a slew of peaches. Alexandracooks crust is very light and flaky, and easy to work with. The frangipane adds a nice element to the dessert -- this isn't your typical peach pie. The directions are easy to follow and make for a forgiving dessert. And it tastes wonderful. The sweetness of the peaches mixed with the almond frangipane and the flaky crust is very satisfying -- especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! This recipe is staying in my peach dessert rotation! - coloterp —coloterp
Makes 2 10-inch galettes
- 2.5 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ice water (about a 1/2 cup + 2 T.)
- Whisk flour, sugar and salt together. Cut butter into flour and using the back of a fork or a pastry cutter, incorporate butter into flour mixture until butter is in small pieces. Add ice water and continue to stir with fork until mixture comes together to form a mass. Add more ice water if necessary, one tablespoon at a time. Gently form mass into a ball and divide into two equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill until ready to use.
Frangipane and Tart Assembly
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 egg
- 1.5 pounds peaches, cut into ½-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Make the frangipane: In the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor, combine almond paste, sugar and room-temperature butter. Beat until combined, then add rum and egg and beat until smooth, or until only small lumps remain. Set aside.
- Assemble the tart: On a lightly floured work surface, roll one disk of dough out approximately into an 11-inch circle, using flour as needed to prevent sticking. Line a rimless cookie sheet (or upside-down jelly roll pan) with parchment paper. Transfer dough to parchment paper and chill for 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Spoon half of the frangipane in center of tart and spread toward the edges, leaving a 2-inch border all the way around. Arrange half of the fruit in concentric circles over the frangipane.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Finish the tart by folding the exposed border over the tart on itself, crimping to make a folded-over border. Chill tart again in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Brush dough 1 tablespoon melted butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar over entire tart. Place in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Repeat tart assembly with remaining dough, frangipane, peaches, butter and sugar.
- When galette is finished cooking, let cool for five minutes on tray then slide parchment paper and tart onto a cooling rack. Let cool another 20 minutes before slicing. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart