Author Notes: This is a really great peach pie I came up with when my guy and I were having friends over. The Southern Comfort lends a great flavor to the peaches, and the whole thing comes together nicely. We loved this served both with an almond whipped cream and a carmel sauce. Or both, if you're feeling particularly plucky! —loraj
Makes: 1 pie
cups all purpose flour
teaspoon vanilla extract
cup ice cold water
Grilled Peach Filling
cups fresh peaches, peeled and quartered
cup brown sugar
cup Southern Comfort (brandy would work well here, too)
- For the pie crust, put flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add the butter, cubed, to the flour mixture, and pulse until the butter is in pea-sized chunks.
- Add the vanilla to the butter mixture along with the ice cold water. Pulse this until the dough comes together. If you pinch it in your fingers and it holds together, you're in good shape. You may need a little more or less water.
- Divide pie dough into two equal discs. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
- Sprinkle the quartered peaches with 1/3 cup of the brown sugar. Grill them on low heat until they have lovely grill marks all over, about 7 minues. Try not to cook them too much, or they'll become mushy when the pie is baked.
- Put the grilled peaches in a bowl with the remaining brown sugar, sugar, and Southern Comfort, and flour. Let them make friends for a while as you roll out you pie crust. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the first disc into a sheet large enough to fit in your pie plate. Place dough in pie plate and pierce with a fork.
- Pour the now friendly peach mixture into the pie crust, and let them all hang out together while you roll out the top crust.
- Roll out the top crust of the pie, place it on top of the filling, and crimp around the edges. Cut vents in the top of the pie.
- Put the pie in to the 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, or until the top crust is golden brown.
- Let pie cool a little, and eat with good friends.