If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Your one-stop grilled dinner! —Amanda Hesser
1 1/4 pounds lamb shoulder (or other grilling cut), cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground red pepper flakes
About 5 tablespoons olive oil
tablespoons coarsely chopped mint leaves
thick slices country bread
1/4 cup crumbled French feta
4 lemon wedges
- Soak 12 bamboo skewers in water. Season the lamb all over with the fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, and salt. Let rest for 20 minutes. Cut the eggplant crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Season the slices with salt and lay them between sheets of paper towel. Let sit for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the grill to medium high.
- Stir together the mint, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Pat the eggplant slices dry, then brush them with olive oil. Brush the bread lightly with olive oil, as well. Skewer the lamb, about 4 pieces per skewer.
- Grill the lamb skewers, eggplant slices and bread, keeping the lamb closer to the hottest part of the grill and eggplant and toast on the periphery. Turn as needed. You want the lamb medium rare (5 to 8 minutes total), the eggplant browned on the edges and just cooked through, and the bread toasted.
- Lay 4 to 6 slices of eggplant on each plate. Top with the lamb skewers. Spoon over the mint and sprinkle with feta. Serve with the grilled bread and a lemon wedge on the side. Make sure your guests use the lemon -- the acid pulls all the flavors together.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!