This recipe is inspired by Patricia Wells' Zucchini Carpaccio with Avocado and Pistachios.
I was thinking, if not as flavorful by it self vegetable (sorry Zucchini) can be transformed to a great dish, so can a juicy and fragrant fruit as a Pear.
Here is a recipe I came up with. For the best texture try to buy pears that are neither fully ripe nor rock-hard; choose those that yield just slightly when pressed. Trimming 1/4- inch off the bottom of each pear allows them to stand up straight when cutting, making it easier to cut uniform slices.
I took one photo before adding cheese and then with the cheese shavings. —Kukla
• 6 Bartlett or Anjou pears, washed, unpeeled
• 3 tablespoons best quality extra-virgin olive oil
• Coarse sea salt, to taste
• Zest of 1 medium lemon
• Zest of 1 small lime
• Juice of 1/2 lemon + juice of 1/2 lime
• 6 leaves fresh mint, chopped + more for garnish
• Wedge Parmigiano Reggiano cheese or Asiago, shaved