Author Notes: I created these for my vegan sister-in-law who would live on macaroons and coconut if that were possible. They are gluten-free, vegan, and chewy, and will be snatched up by your guests quicker than you can elaborate on any of their other qualities. The amaranth contrasts light nuttiness to the maple, vanilla, lemon, and coconut, providing these macaroons with a gorgeous flavor both basic and complex. —beyondcelery
cup vanilla sugar
cup coconut milk
tablespoons maple syrup
teaspoons vanilla extract
teaspoon sea salt
teaspoons fresh lemon zest
cups unsweetened shredded coconut
cup sweet rice flour
cup amaranth flour
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together sugar, coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon zest, and sea salt. Stir in coconut until well-coated. Add flours and mix very well, using your hands if needed. Mix until uniform.
- Using a 1-inch scoop or 1 Tbls measuring spoon, scoop macaroons into small domes, forming with your hands if needed. Be sure to pack the coconut mixture into the scoop hard or the macaroons may crumble later after baking.
- Arrange on cookie sheet closely together, but not touching. They grow only slightly. Bake about 15-20 minutes, rotating cookie sheet once halfway through. Macaroons are done when they're golden all over. Be careful not to burn the bottoms.
- Serve warm or room temperature. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe