Author Notes: Tell us about your recipe. —The Perennial Plate
1 cup flour
6 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 tablespoons cold water
4 cups frozen blueberries
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
- Cut very cold butter into tiny pieces and combine into flour. (I usually use my fingers to break down the butter into “pea sized” pieces). Add water a tablespoon at a time — mixing the ingredients with a fork or by hand until dough is combined but not sticky. (Note: pie crust dough doesn’t need a lot of kneading, so as soon as the ingredients are combined, dough is ready).
- Form the dough into two balls, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Lightly flour a surface for rolling out the dough. Roll out one dough ball into a very thin circle and place into a 9? pie tin. Dough should overhang the edge of the pie tin by 1/2?; trim away any excess dough.
- Roll out the remaining dough ball and cut into 1/2-3/4? lattice strips.
- Combine berries in large bowl. Mix in flour and sugar and let stand for 20 minutes. Pour into pie tin.
- Lay on the lattice allowing strips to overhang the pie tin by 1/2?; trim away excess dough. Fold the bottom crust over the ends of the lattice and pinch to seal the dough together.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes, reduce to 350° and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.