Author Notes: The first time I made this dessert was for a mixed bunch of folks (dietarily, that is.) Since then, it's become my go-to dessert any time I need to appeal to a large mix of people: adult, kid, vegan, lactose-intolerant alike... this cookie is the ultimate people pleaser. They're simple, crunchy with a soft middle, and never fail to induce salivating from guests.
p.s. - the slightly more healthy full post is available here: http://thefreshbakedfreak.blogspot.com/2011/06/you-cant-please-everyone-oh-contraire.html —Rachelrum
Makes: 2 dozen cookies
cups all purpose flour (feel free to sub gluten-free or whole wheat)
teaspoons baking powder
cup chocolate chips (dark chocolate, if you're doing vegan)
cup walnuts, optional
cup brown sugar
cup coconut or canola oil
teaspoon molasses, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flours, baking powder, chips, and nuts in a large mixing bowl and create a well in the center.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine sugar, oil, vanilla, water, and molasses (if desired) and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry; do not over-mix!
- Spoon drops of dough onto cookie sheet and mold into desired shape.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then switch racks and rotate trays 180 degrees. Bake another 6-7 minutes.