Author Notes: St. Francis winemaker, Heather Munden, knows how to put Cabernet to good use! Try this simple pancetta recipe which uses the winery's logo Cabernet. Perfect in Food52's Pasta Al Forno with Pumpkin & Pancetta, or our Silky Shallot Soup with Crispy Pancetta! —Food52
Makes 6 pounds pancetta
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 7 small juniper berries
- 6 tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 pounds pork belly, skin off
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup St. Francis logo cabernet
- Grind spices and mix, in a large bowl, with the salt.
- Place pork belly in a large ziplock bag and rub the spice mixture all over.
- With the pork still inside the bag, rub it with garlic and gently pour on the wine, taking care not to rub off the spices.
- Cure the belly in the fridge for 8-15 days. The salt and spices will penetrate the meat, rendering it firm.