If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Admittedly a bit plebian, this creation was borne from a long-ago 1980s (!) evening that featured too many cocktails...followed by the return home to an almost-empty fridge. Comfort food: salty, creamy, savory, crunchy. No regrets the next morning. —vinaigrette
Serves 10 sober guests; 4 inebriated guests
- 1 French baguette, cut in thin slices
- 1 Large ball mozzarella, fresh or of the refrigerated store-bought variety
- 1/2 cup Homemade or good store-bought pesto
- 1/4 cup Roasted red peppers, homemade or from a jar, drained
- Toast bread slices, turning once, on a parchment-covered tray at 325 F for about 5 minutes per side, or until lightly toasted and crunchy.
- Lightly rub a cut garlic clove on one side of the toasts. Spread about 1 tsp., more or or less, of pesto over the entire surface. Add a thick or thinly sliced piece(s) of mozzarella, leaving a border of 1/2 inch, or slightly more around the perimeter. Lay the slices of bread on a piece of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet; broil lightly under a low flame until the cheese starts to bubble.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the broiler; place a piece of roasted red pepper atop the cheese on each slice of toast. Pop under the broiler for a brief time until the cheese is well done and the pepper is hot.