Author Notes: Looking for a super simple appetizer that will impress your guests? This one answers the call. My step Mom asked me to assemble these for our Christmas gathering a few years ago. Now I make them every time I want to feel festive!
When buying smoked salmon, avoid those with flavorings (peppered, dill, or otherwise) and look for those made in Iceland, Norway, or Canada. A good quality smoked salmon does not require much adornment. —midnitechef
Serves scalable to size of party, make 3 per guest (minimum)
- smoked salmon
- low-fat cream cheese
- bread (rye, multi-grain, pumpernickel)
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
- The bread can be any type, grain, or size you like. Pictured above is my home-made focaccia split open and cut to size. You can do the same with a loaf of dark multigrain bread, slice then divide each slice into thirds or quarters. Go fancy and trim the crusts. Toast the bread briefly under the broiler to give it structure.
- The rest is a breeze. Put the cream cheese on the toasted bread, lay a piece of salmon or two on top, then garnish with capers.
- I find lemon juice over powers the flavors going on here. Add a spritz if you desire.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack