Author Notes: Though this recipe contains just a few ingredients the caramalized sugar, the salt and the alcohol in the port all help to amplify the flavor of this sauce. —Sebastian
Makes: 1 1/2 cups
ounces cranberries, rinsed and picked over
cup white port
- Halve the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds using a teaspoon. Reserve seeds and pod.
- Make a caramel by placing the sugar and water in a medium sauspan and bringing it to a soft boil. To avoid crystalization brush down sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush and don’t stir the mixture. Continue to boil until mixture turns a light golden brown.
- Turn down the heat to low and add cranberries to the mixture, use a wooden spoon to coat the berries with the caramel. And cover for a minute to avoid spattering
- Turn heat to medium and add salt, vanilla seeds, vanilla pod and port. Stir the mixture for about 10 minutes until the texture of jam.
- Transfer sauce to a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes before serving or let cool and refrigerate for up to 3 days.