If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An old standby also known as an Italian meringue, there are many uses for boiled icing including the Cinnamon Balls we make at Passover (use food52 recipe search to find my recipe). - olinsloan —olinsloan
- 8 ounces (200 g) superfine (caster) sugar
- 1/3 cup 65 ml) boiling water
- 1 egg white, beaten stiff
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, opt.
- Rind of 1/2 lemon, opt.
- Make a simple syrup by dissolving the superfine (caster) sugar in the boiling water.
- Continue to boil the syrup until it reaches the thread stage (230F/110C).
- Slowly pour the syrup over the egg white, beaten stiff and beat until spreadable.
- Flavour the icing with cinnamon and lemon rind if desired.