Author Notes: I got the original recipe from a friend in a "mommy group" when my daughter was less than a year old. I made it, but it was too heavy! I changed it up a bit and made it a little lighter. Now it is a Holiday staple. My whole family loves it! —sensiblebloomers
Loaf Pugliesse bread or other chewy, crusty, rustic loaf, sliced 1/2" thick
ounces sliced, fresh mushrooms
cup sliced scallions
ounces turkey breakfast sausage
ounces bag fresh spinach
ounces grated swiss cheese
tablespoons stone ground mustard
- Let butter get to room temperature so it will spread easily on the bread. Spread thinly on one side of each slice.
- Saute mushrooms in oil, set aside.
- Crumble sausage and cook, set aside.
- Cook spinach, drain, chop, set aside
- In a lightly greased or non-stick 11x7 pan that has at least 2 inches height, layer bread, sausage, mushrooms, onions, spinach and cheese. Repeat.
- Mix everything from eggs down together in a large bowl or measuring cup and pour over all.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 350 f deg. for 1 hour. Serve hot!