Author Notes: Horiatiki is a rustic Greek country salad; tomatoes, feta, olives and cucumber dressed with olive oil and oregano are the most standard elements in an American Greek version; I started making it after seeing drbab’s Food52 recipe.
Inspired by an onsite contest to make a one bite appetizer I thought why not the Mediterranean flavors of a Horiatiki? Since then I’ve served these poppers often; they are healthy and fancy, schmancy, always the first to go, oh and by the way, depending on your bite could possibility end up being a two bite appetizer!
Makes 12-15 poppers, depending on how full the wonton is filled
- FILLING: ingredients are for 12-15 poppers
- 2 Persian or pickling sized cucumbers - 1 cup diced
- 12 Cherry tomatoes
- 12 Kalamata olives
- 12 Feta cheese cubes – a little smaller than the olive
- Herbes De Provence (I prefer it to oregano)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Mini tart pan
- 15 Wonton Wrappers
- Combine 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence and fresh ground pepper. Let the ingredients sit and infuse, give it a stir now and then. Set aside until needed.
- Spray the wonton wrappers with a buttery spray (such as Pam) on both sides; line the mini tart pan with them pressing lightly into the middle to form a cup.
- Bake at 350° until the edges are crispy and brown, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool. NOTE - for a make ahead see the note below.
- Cut the filling ingredients into thirds and let sit in the refrigerator until ready to assemble. Can be done at least 3 hours ahead.
- About an hour before serving, fill each wonton cup - if needed, to minimize excessive liquid use a slotted spoon.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil mixture.
- NOTE TO MAKE IT AHEAD:
- Prepare to the end of step 3 (up to 2 days ahead), store in an airtight container.
- Next day, continue with step 4 up to - up to three hours ahead of serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
More Great Recipes: Appetizers