If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Horiatiki is a rustic Greek country salad; tomatoes, feta, olives and cucumber dressed with olive oil and oregano are the most standard elements in an American Greek version; I started making it after seeing drbab’s Food52 recipe.
Inspired by an onsite contest to make a one bite appetizer I thought why not the Mediterranean flavors of a Horiatiki? Since then I’ve served these poppers often; they are healthy and fancy, schmancy, always the first to go, oh and by the way, depending on your bite could possibility end up being a two bite appetizer!
Makes 12-15 poppers, depending on how full the wonton is filled
- FILLING: ingredients are for 12-15 poppers
- 2 Persian or pickling sized cucumbers - 1 cup diced
- 12 Cherry tomatoes
- 12 Kalamata olives
- 12 Feta cheese cubes – a little smaller than the olive
- Herbes De Provence (I prefer it to oregano)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Mini tart pan
- 15 Wonton Wrappers
- Combine 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence and fresh ground pepper. Let the ingredients sit and infuse, give it a stir now and then. Set aside until needed.
- Spray the wonton wrappers with a buttery spray (such as Pam) on both sides; line the mini tart pan with them pressing lightly into the middle to form a cup.
- Bake at 350° until the edges are crispy and brown, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool. NOTE - for a make ahead see the note below.
- Cut the filling ingredients into thirds and let sit in the refrigerator until ready to assemble. Can be done at least 3 hours ahead.
- About an hour before serving, fill each wonton cup - if needed, to minimize excessive liquid use a slotted spoon.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil mixture.
- NOTE TO MAKE IT AHEAD:
- Prepare to the end of step 3 (up to 2 days ahead), store in an airtight container.
- Next day, continue with step 4 up to - up to three hours ahead of serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
More Great Recipes: