Author Notes: I have to give credit where credit is due, this loaf was inspired by 3 great cooks. Martha Stewarts recipe for a moist and flavorful banana bread, Antonia James delicious spiced pecans and Merrills cardamom banana milkshake. This recipe makes one 9x5x3 loaf or 3 mini loaves. Its moist and flavorful and the hint of spice from pecans makes it even better. —sdebrango
Makes 1 loaf or 3 mini loaves
The spiced pecans
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cointreau
- 1/2 cup raw pecan halves
- In small saucepan bring water, spices, and cointreau to a boil. Remove from heat and add the pecans. Let sit until it cools and pour into covered container and let sit overnight. Pre-heat oven to 170-200 line half sheet pan with parchment. Remove pecans from brining liquid and spread on sheet pan, I included the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods so they could dry roast with the pecans. Roast for 6 hours or until dry. Place in covered container until ready to use.
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping cup very ripe mashed banana (2 1/12 - 3 banana's depending on size)
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup spiced pecans rough chop
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the loaf pan or pans. In stand mixer with paddle attachment add the butter and sugar and cream until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Add the vanilla. In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt and with mixer on low add to creamed mixture. Mix until combined. Add the banana and sour cream and mix to incorporate. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Spoon into prepared pan or pans and bake loaf for 60-70- minutes or mini loaves for 40- 45 minutes or until browned and tester comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes remove from pan and let cool completely before serving.