This may be the "ugly kid on the block", but I promise if you get past the initial impression and take a bite, you"ll love it! I adapted it from Tom's Big Dinners by Tom Douglas. His version is exceptional, but I wanted a more savory version. I hope this lives up to his standards! —dkkporter
- Makes Approximately 22
Cold egg whites
Kosher or sea salt
Baker's sugar (fine granulated sugar)
Fresh ground pepper
Pure vanilla extract
- Beat the egg whites and salt in a bowl with a handheld mixer on medium speed until frothy.
- Add the sugar slowly and increase the speed of the mixer to high. The egg whites should become glossy and smooth. Once soft peaks have formed, add the flour, pepper and vanilla extract. Blend with mixer on low until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the coconut and fold in slowly with a spatula. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place bowl in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with olive oil spray to prevent sticking. Drop tablespoons of the mixture on the sheet a few inches apart and bake for 20-22 minutes until lightly browned.
- Let macaroons cool on the cookie sheet for two minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two days in advance.