If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This was the premier recipe on my latest blog, Mitschlag! The blog is devoted to people living with food restrictions who still want to eat and prepare fabulous food.
These brownies are made with black beans and actually taste like great brownies. They are also extremely virtuous and dare I say it, good for you! I ate one for breakfast the next day!
They are flourless, refined sugar-free, low fat, full of protein and absolutely delicious hot or cold. They can be made vegan if you leave out the egg and use vegan chocolate chips. When you eat them hot from the oven they taste of banana and are souffle-like. When you eat them after a night in the fridge they transform into fudgey, dense morsels and lose the banana flavor altogether.
Enjoy! —DUZE @BakingBackwards
Makes 1 square pan
Amazing Black Bean Brownies
- Part I:
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 1/2 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- 1/3-1/2 cup Ghirardelli 100% cocoa
- 1 can organic black beans, (rinsed and drained)
- 1/3 cup organic maple syrup (or more if you want sweeter brownies)
- 1 tbsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt (or to your taste)
- 1 heaping tsp organic baking powder
- Part II:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- Part III:
- 1/4 cup organic quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup organic dark chocolate chips (dairy free if you want)
- 1/3 cup reduced fat organic shredded unsweetened coconut
- Part IV:
- 1 egg white, whipped
- Part V:
- 1 handful organic dark chocolate chips
- 1 handful reduced fat organic shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium sized bowl, blend all ingredients from "Part I" with a hand blender until very smooth. Black beans can be hard to get really smooth because they are small and evade the blade easily. Be sure to spend a few minutes blending. Taste. Adjust any ingredients to your taste.
- Blend in ingredients from "Part II".
- Stir in ingredients from "Part III" until well incorporated.
- Whip the egg white until very frothy or until you achieve soft peaks. Fold in egg white into the cocoa mixture delicately.
- Empty mixture into a square non-stick cake pan. Smooth out to the edges with a spoon. Top with ingredients from "Part V". Bake for roughly 30 minutes.
- How to Eat these little morsels: Hot: for banana-tastic, souffle-like cakey brownies Eat brownies hot out of the oven with frosting spooned on top. We had these a la mode (with a scoop of vanilla ice cream). Cold: Refrigerating these overnight changes the taste and texture dramatically. They become intensely fudgey and loose their banana flavor entirely.
Optional Vegan Frosting (Goes great spooned on top of brownies if eaten hot out of the oven)
- 1/3 of a ripe avocado
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp organic ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp organic honey
- 1/4 cup Ghirardelli 100% cocoa
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Blend all ingredients in a small bowl until very smooth with a hand blender.
- TASTE! ADJUST ALL INGREDIENTS TO YOUR TASTE! Refrigerate until brownies are ready to eat.