Author Notes: We have been making this cookie at holiday time, or any time, for two generations since the 70's. It is a sure crowd-pleaser and everyone loves the elegant looking and yummy flavors. A bonus is that kids love to help make these and roll them in nuts, filling the jam in each. The recipe can be doubled well and I often do. —AlohaGirl
Makes: 2 dozen cookies
cup butter, softened (1 stick)
cup slivered blanched almonds, chopped
cup raspberry jam
- Beat butter, sugar, vanilla and yolk of egg in bowl until fluffy.
- Stir in flour, mixing well and gather dough into ball. Wrap and chill for an hour or so, or if more convenient, overnight until next day.
- Bring dough to plyable temperature and roll about a teaspoonful into little round ball with palm of hands. Make all the balls and then assemble and fill.
- Beat egg white until frothy and roll each ball around in the wash. Next, dip and roll in the chopped blanched almonds. Place on cookie sheet (I line my sheets with parchment which is optional) one inch apart.
- Press an indentaion with your finger on the center top of each to hold jam filling. Spoon a tiny amount of raspberry jam in each to fill. (Kids love to do this step). Bake in slow 300 degree oven for about 20 minutes, watching carefully near end to lightly golden. Cool well before removing from pan.