Author Notes: A drop cookie filled with candied peel where you get the crumble of the cookie and the chew of the peel. It's a bright cookie for the Winter. Adapted from the Basic Drop Cookie from King Arthur Flour —Katey501
Makes about 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup candied peel, orange and lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, add butter, sugars, vanilla, salt, zest, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat until well combined.
- Beat in egg until mixed and smooth.
- Add flour and candied peel and mix until dough comes together.
- You can either drop batter onto baking sheets by the teaspoon (or tablespoon--depending on what size you like), about 1 1/2 inches apart. Or you can form dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks.
- For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar and orange juice until sugar is mixed in and you have a thin glaze. With a pastry brush, brush over cookies. It's more of a coating than a glaze and will leave a sheen as opposed to a thick glaze.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe