Author Notes: I adapted this recipe from a recipe given to me by a friend a few years ago. It has since become one of my favorite dishes. I've adjusted it slightly so that the rice is al dente and the sauce is less wet and more chunky. The adjustments have intensified the flavors but remained true to the spirit of the dish. The tang from the lime, the spice from the red pepper, and the sweetness from the honey served over creamy, fluffy rice is so well balanced. This recipe is meant to serve 6, but I always find it hard to put my fork down. So, if you love it as much as I do, it will serve 2-3. —harunadulce
Coconut Lime Rice
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Jasmine Rice
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Lime Zest
- Bring water and coconut milk to a boil. Stir in rice. *The original recipe called for 2 cups of water, but 3 cups of fluid to 1 cup of rice seemed excessive to me. It also called for salt, but because of the lime I found that the extra flavor and sodium wasn't necessary.
- Add lime juice and lime zest to rice when cooked.
Shrimp and Zesty Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 cup Cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Dry Roasted Peanuts
- 2 tablespoons Minced Ginger
- 2 cloves Minced Garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- 16-20 ct. Large Raw Shrimp
- Process cilantro, peanuts, ginger, garlic, salt, red pepper (I like to use Korean red pepper flakes because it's more finely ground and doesn't contain seeds), honey, lime juice, and 2 TBS olive oil in food processor until smooth. *If you process it until smooth, it has the consistency of a pesto. I prefer my sauce to be a little chunky; to achieve this, I just don't scrape down the sides while processing. I also made the sauce a little drier than the original recipe by adding only 2 TBS of olive oil as opposed to 3 TBS.
- Saute shrimp in 1 TBS olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sauce to skillet with shrimp until heated through. Serve over rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe