Author Notes: My latke redemption... definitely not your average potato cake! —mtlabor
Makes: 2 latkes
New Red Potatoes
egg, lightly beaten
teaspoon baking powder
salt and pepper, to taste
vegetable oil, for frying
In This Recipe
- Make sure you have a bowl of salted cold water for your potatoes so that they don't oxidize and turn brown on you.
- Peel your potato (or potatoes if you're using more than 1) and have a grater ready.
- Shred that potato and immediately put into the bowl/container with cold salted water. Set aside.
- Then quickly small dice your onion and set that aside, as well.
- In a medium heavy-bottomed pan, add enough vegetable oil to cover the pan by 1/2 an inch and heat under medium high heat.
- Drain potatoes from water and squeeze out and excess water retained by the potatoes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the shredded potatoes, onions, egg, baking powder, and flour. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Fry the latkes in the oil until crispy and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Let drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Then, using the open end of a drinking class (or the reasonable option would be to use a cookie cutter), cut a nice even circle out of the latke. Then eat the edges, because they're delicious. Top with spicy tuna tartar if you want and even better treat!