- Serves 2
This is a simple recipe that combines three complimentary ingredients: leeks, citrus, and fish. The leeks are parboiled, then serve as a bed for the halibut as it roasts in the oven for a few minutes. Citrus juice and olive oil are the only flavors to dress the fish, which is served with a compound butter. The compound butter is made with a bit of citrus zest and chopped chives. I've used clementines but any orange would work just as well, and dill would be a good substitution for the chive. The recipe is light, fresh, and uncomplicated, perfect for a weeknight supper. —la domestique
- For the citrus-chive butter
unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
zest of 1 clementine
chopped fresh chives
- For the roasted halibut and leeks
leeks, about 1 inch in diameter or less
portions halibut fillet, about 1/3 pound each
juice from 1 clementine
unsalted butter, melted
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Make a compound butter by combining the butter, clementine zest, chopped chives, and pinch of salt in a small bowl. Stir the mixture with a spatula until ingredients are evenly distributed. Shape the butter into a quenelle or a log and chill in the fridge until firm, about half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare the leeks: Take off their roots and coarse green tops. Slice the leeks almost in two with a lengthwise cut from the top end to within two inches of the root base. Submerge the leeks in water and agitate them to remove any dirt. Simmer the leeks in a separate (large) pot of water until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain the leeks and finish the lengthwise cut to divide the leeks into two halves.
- Butter two gratin dishes or one larger casserole dish and place the leeks on the bottom. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and the melted butter. Season the leeks with a couple pinches of salt. Place each halibut fillet atop its own bed of leeks. Pour clementine juice over the halibut along with the other tablespoon olive oil. Season the fish with a couple pinches of salt and a bit of freshly ground white pepper.
- Roast the fish in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the halibut is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork. Remove the halibut and leeks from the oven and serve immediately with a slice of citrus-chive butter on top.