Author Notes: This recipe was passed down in my family from my father's grandmother "Nan." I never did meet her but my father has told me how the women in his family were amazing bakers and cooks. He gave me a collection of their recipes and this was the first one to catch my eye, partly because it looks easy but also because I love the scent of freshly grated lemon. It has a smooth, mellow taste.
I've changed the instructions slightly. It originally called for butter "the size of a walnut" which I interpreted to mean 1 tablespoon. I also used soy milk instead of dairy milk since that was all I had on hand. —KitKat84
cups white sugar
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
tablespoon butter, melted
egg whites, beaten
- Combine the sugar, flour, and the rind and juice of one lemon in a large bowl.
- Add the butter, egg yolks and milk. Stir in the egg white.
- Please in a greased dish and bake at 375F for 20-30 minutes until the top crust is a very light brown.
- Allow to cool, then serve. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe