If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This sweet treat always makes an appearance at our Thanksgiving table. The year Mom chose to make another dessert instead, she heard lots of protests! —SupperStarter
Food52 Review: I baked a whole sweet potato in a 350°F oven until it was tender, 25 minutes. It was a medium sized potato (120g) and gave me more than I needed when mashed smooth with a fork. It's also more filling than you need—I only used 2/3 of the filling. For baking, I left the parchment on the inside of the cake when rolling in the tea towel so it didn't stick to itself (the sweet potato means it's a pretty moist cake). Finally, I'd dust with icing sugar to serve, because why not? —Stephanie Bourgeois
Serves 1 rolled cake
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup baked sweet potato pulp, mashed with fork
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- To make filling: Beat together cream cheese and butter. Stir in sifted powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue stirring until smooth. Set filling aside.
- To make rolled cake: Beat together eggs and sugar with the whisk attachment of a stand mixer. Add sweet potato to mixture until it has the consistency of a foam cake, about 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Fold in dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring until combined.
- Spread batter onto 10x15-inch jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove parchment paper and place cake on clean tea towel without any iron-on type designs inside jelly roll pan. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Roll cake up in towel from 10-inch side. Cool the cake for 20 minutes.
- Unroll cake and place on plastic wrap. Evenly spread filling over cake. Roll tightly andand cover with plastic wrap. Chill 2 hours prior to serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe