Author Notes: These are crispy, sweet-tart sugar cookies that roll out easily and are great for decorating. There's lemon zest in the cookie dough, and lemon juice in the icing. —Louisa
Makes: makes a lot of cookies
cups all purpose flour
teaspoon baking powder
zest of 1 lemon
gel food coloring
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar using a mixer.
- Add eggs to the butter/sugar one at a time.
- Add vanilla and lemon zest.
- Add the flour mixture to the dough and mix just until the ingredients are blended.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions and shape each into a disc. Wrap each disc in plastic film and chill for at least 3 hrs. (You can also freeze the dough at this point, and then take it out as you need it.)
- Roll out chilled disc on a flour-sprinkled countertop. Dough should be rolled out pretty thinly. Cut out the dough with your favorite cookie cutters and place cookies on silpat or lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 8+ minutes, depending on the size/thickness of your cookies.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Start with about 4 cups of powdered sugar in a bowl. Squeeze and strain the juice from a lemon and stir into the sugar. The consistency should be somewhat thick, so adjust the sugar/lemon juice accordingly. I use baby food jars and pour/spoon the icing into as many jars as colors to be used. Add the gel color to each jar and stir--children love doing this.
- I give each person. a rimmed cookie sheet to work on. Use synthetic paint brushes of assorted sizes for painting the cookies. And make sure to have lots of different sprinkles and sugars.
- Allow cookies to air dry several hours before packaging.