If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What a great way to inject some greens into your bacon and eggs (or should that be inject some bacon and eggs into your greens)?! Here I use maple syrup and some red chili flakes with the bacon, but Katie Lee's recipe for Brown Sugar Bacon is also delicious and could be used instead. —Oops! Were you gonna eat that?
- 6 pieces of applewood smoked bacon
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- red chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place an oven proof cooling rack inside a foil-lined, lipped baking sheet or shallow roasting pan.
- Lay the bacon slices flat on the cooling rack and brush with the maple syrup. Sprinkle a pinch of red chili flakes over each piece of bacon.
- Roast the bacon for 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from oven and let the bacon cool and crisp up on the cooling rack.
- 4 eggs
- 1 head of red leaf lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed well
- 1 handful fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 handful chopped chives
- 2 handfuls basil leaves, roughly torn
- Your favorite vinaigrette (homemade or store bought)
- Coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Soft boil your eggs: in a medium saucepan, cover your eggs with cool water. Bring to a boil. As soon as the water starts to boil, turn off the heat and let the eggs sit in the hot water for a full 15 minutes while you assemble the rest of the salad.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, red onion, beans and herbs. Dress with your favorite vinaigrette and toss to thoroughly combine.
- Plate the salad in 4 salad bowls. Crumble 1 and a half pieces of the maple bacon over each bowl.
- Peel your eggs and slice them each in half. Place two halves on the top of each salad, yolks facing up. Sprinkle the eggs with a pinch of coarse sea salt and some cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.
More Great Recipes: Salads