If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A kicked up version of the classic Manhatten style chowder. —Giggles
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (12 oz) spicy V8 juice
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 4 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 bottle (8 oz) clam juice
- 2 pounds mussels, in shell scrubbed clean
- 12 ounces bay scallops (frozen or shelled)
- 8 ounces medium to large shrimp, cleaned and shelled
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven over medium high heat, cook bacon. When bacon is browned but not overly crisp. Spoon off all the fat except 1 tablespoon.
- Turn heat down to medium, add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook until softened, stirring occasionaly, about 10 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, spicy V8 and clam juice. Bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes, thyme and Old Bay Seasoning, cook until potatoes are tender but not falling apart, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add seafood, cover and cook until seafood is done (mussel shells should open, shrimp and scallops should no longer be translucent).
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.