If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mom likes to throw huge parties with amazing home-cooked food, and when she finds herself pressed for time, she'll use store-bought rolls instead of making her own (which are amazing and courtesy of my late grandma's original recipe). However, after eating so much delicious food, it's always the rolls that go to waste. So, instead of tossing them all in the trash, i like to take them home and reuse them for other recipes. This is a bread pudding recipe I developed from one of those situations.
Bread pudding can often be very mushy and soupy; this recipe is neither. In fact, most people that hate bread pudding love this recipe, so either I'm on to something or I've made bread pudding incorrectly all these years. Either way, I'll take it!
If you want to make it a lower-calorie dish, substitute the heavy cream for 2 cups milk or half and half, and leave the salt out. It's just as good. Canned peaches will also suffice when fresh peaches are out of season. —alyson mance
- 9 medium-sized, day-old dinner rolls, torn into large pieces (makes about 6 cups)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 apple, skinned and chopped
- 1 peach, skinned and chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- handful chopped pecans
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine bread, apples, peaches, and cranberries in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, butter and spices together. Whisk in heavy cream, then pour over bread mixture. Toss to make sure all bread pieces have been well-coated, then leave for 25 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Pour bread mixture into a buttered pan, top with pecans, and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until top is brown and toothpick test is clean. Serve over ice cream. Seriously. You can't go wrong with ice cream.