I love the combination of orange with chocolate. It is one of best combinations whether you make cookies, cakes or anything baked. These are really lovely to gift someone or or to carry in your purse (the way I like it) ..so that you can have them anytime anyplace. —PistachioDoughnut
- Serves none other than yourself
2 to 3
Navel Orange approx yields 1/2 to 1 cup peel
Powdered sugar or icing sugar for coating
Dark Chocolate chunks
- Peel 2-3 oranges, making an effort to get large sections of peel with straight edges (use knife or a citrus peeler). I find that navel oranges have the thickest most tender peel
- Slice peels into thin strips
- Remove the white part of the peel leaving only the zest. Blanch the peels in boiling water a couple of times and then drain.
- In a small saucepan, combine one cup of water, one cup of powdered sugar and peels. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for about an hour until liquid is reduced by half and peel are tender.
- Drain peels, allow to cool and then coat the peels in icing sugar.
- Dip sugared peels into melted chocolate and place on wax paper to harden. I melted chocolate in a double boiler.
- Once they are hard , you can pack them in cellophane gift bags.