If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Maple and bleu cheese are a perfect example of one of my favorite savory, sweet unions and work particularly well with burgers. Red onions and crispy prosciutto provide the right notes of crunchiness, saltiness and mild heat. I choose Maytag bleu since I used to sell it to chefs in Chicago many years ago and love the stuff. I baked my own hamburger buns, but substitute with ciabatta rolls or another crusty bun. —NBrush
Makes: 3 burgers
pound 85% ground round beef
cup pure maple syrup, divided
teaspoon kosher salt, divided
teaspoon ground pepper
tablespoon canola oil
cup crumbled Maytag bleu cheese
sliced red onion
freshly ground pepper
- preheated 350°F oven
- Drizzle the olive in a small sauté pan and heat on medium high heat. Cook the prosciutto slices until crispy, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the ground round, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper and gently mix. Form into 1/3 pound patties with a slight depression in the middle to prevent bulging. Sprinkle the remaining salt on both sides of the burgers.
- Heat a large cast iron or stainless steel skillet on medium high heat with the canola oil.Cook the burgers medium rare to medium about 7-10 minutes, turning from time to time. While the burgers are cooking toast, the rolls in the oven.
- When the burgers are almost finished, combine ¼ cup maple syrup and the bleu cheese in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 15 seconds, give it a stir and cook again for another 15 seconds. Keep covered.
- Assemble the burgers by drizzling some maple syrup over the bottom half of the bun. Lay down the burger then the crispy prosciutto. Top with bleu cheese, red onion slices and a grinding of fresh pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe