I learned this recipe while on my honeymoon in Tuscany. My husband and I signed up for a cooking class that was held at a quiet and beautiful B&B called Fagiolari. Under the tutelage of Giulietta and Stefania, we made this wonderful turkey roulade. The recipe is very simple and the only change I made was to double the amount of onions because they become a lovely 'sauce' when braised in white wine. I also added a variation using chicken breasts. —HalfPint
Test Kitchen Notes
If you're looking for a completely out of the ordinary Thanksgiving turkey, you want to try this. The flavors and aroma are extraordinary. I used a bone-in turkey breast and left part of the skin on after boning for fear of the roast being a bit dry. My roast was probably five pounds and required an hour and a half cook time to reach 160°F. In order to keep everything moist, I used a cup and a half of wine on the onions and a drizzle of olive oil over all during roasting. And as HalfPint says, sandwiches the next day are terrific! —inpatskitchen
- Serves 4-5
Boneless turkey breast, skin removed
fresh rosemary leaves
dry white wine, more as needed
pork sausage (for example, sweet Italian)
salt and black pepper
- Butterfly and flatten turkey breast with a meat mallet. You want it flat enough to roll.
- Spread sausage over the flattened turkey. Sprinkle rosemary leaves over the sausage. Tightly roll up the turkey and tie securely with kitchen/butcher's twine. Lightly sprinkle the roulade with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place sliced onions in a baking pan. Sprinkle with fennel seeds and 1 teaspoon of salt. Put turkey roulade on top of the onion bed. Add white wine to the pan.
- Bake in a 375°F oven until the internal temperature reaches about 160°F. This usually takes about an hour or so. Add more wine if the onions start to dry out and burn.
- Let the roulade rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing. Don't forget to remove the string. Serve with braised onions, spooned over the slices.
- Variation: this can be made with chicken breasts. Note: if you don't have fennel seeds, you can use fresh sliced fennel bulb. Please do not use dried rosemary. Omit if you don't have fresh rosemary.