Author Notes: A perfect party dish sure to surprise and delight. The color is gorgeous; it is best at room temperature and simple to prepare; it can be made hours in advance and, best of all, shaped into fun forms. Lime and ginger produce a cool, refreshing taste quite different from the usual preparations for sweet potatoes. I love it as an appetizer and make different shapes depending on the occasion. For a summer evening, I might shape it into a goldfish – the color is ideal. For an autumn or Halloween party, a leaf or pumpkin shape does the trick. In December, make it a gold ball or star. —Luci Paul
Serves: 8 as an appetizer
pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
tablespoons heavy cream
tablespoon peeled, finely grated ginger
teaspoons finely grated lime zest
tablespoon lime juice
freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Steam or boil the sweet potato until quite soft, 25-30 minutes. Drain if necessary. Put through a ricer or mash until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. The mixture should be quite soft so that it can be used as a spread. Add additional cream if necessary.
- Shape as desired. Add touches as necessary: a slice of scallion for the goldfish's eye, a dusting of cinnamon for the stem of the leaf or pumpkin, glittery cake decoration for the gold ball or star.
- Serve with bagel crisps, a dark flat bread, or purple potato chips.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe