- Makes Baker’s Dozen—13 (5-inches-by-2 ½-inches) Graham Crackers
Graham Crackers are made with graham flour, which can be difficult to obtain, I created a recipe to share with you which gives you a similar texture and flavor that surpasses any you’ve ever tasted! I photographed them here with my Homemade S'mores Dip made with a DIY Marshmallow Creme recipe of mine. —Zoe Rogers
whole wheat flour
firmly-packed dark brown sugar
unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- Sift together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, dark brown sugar, and cinnamon into a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter, molasses, and honey in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat just until combined, about 1 minute.
- In two additions, add the dry ingredients, and beat on medium speed, until the mixture is well-blended and smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly-floured work surface, using your hands, divide the dough evenly in half, and form each half into a flat disk. Wrap each dough disk separately and tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour, until chilled.
- Unwrap one of the chilled dough disks, and transfer to a lightly-floured work surface. Preheat the oven to 350? degrees F. and place a rack in the center of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough disk out into a 1/8-inch-thickness. Using a ruler and a pastry cutter or a sharp knife, cut the dough into 5-inches-by-2 ½–inches rectangles; using a spatula, transfer the rectangles to the prepared baking sheets as you do so, placing them 1-inch apart. Repeat the process with any leftover dough scraps. Then, repeat the process with the second dough disk.
- Using a paring knife, gently score each rectangle to create a line down the middle, but do not cut all the way through the dough. Using a toothpick or substitute a fork, pierce each graham cracker with 4 rows of holes 8 holes long down the length of each rectangle, which is necessary for proper baking of the graham crackers and you will notice makes them resemble store-bought graham crackers as well. Bake the graham crackers, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking time, until the edges are golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. The graham crackers crisp once they are cool.
- Store the graham crackers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. These DIY Graham Crackers are superb eaten on their own, used for S’mores (I photographed them here with my Homemade S'mores Dip made with a DIY Marshmallow Creme recipe I created) or for any other treat or dessert!