If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
This is from my Georgia grandfather--his recipes were not detailed, but this is pretty close to what I remember, thanks to help from my mom. The syrup was what they grew up with, just a brown sugar and water simple syrup boiled until it was thick enough, and I prefer it to maple syrup.
This is from my Georgia grandfather--his recipes were not detailed, but this is pretty close to what I remember, thanks to help from my mom. The syrup was what they grew up with, just a brown sugar and water simple syrup boiled until it was thick enough, and I prefer it to maple syrup.—Louisa
Food52 Review: This recipe can be whipped up in less than 10 minutes with fairly standard pantry ingredients. And the best thing is that it tastes like you've slaved over it all morning. The pancakes are light and fluffy and the pecans add the nice like textural crunch. I was a little worried that there wasn't any sugar in the recipe, not even a pinch. To my surprise, they didn't need it. The Depression Syrup was superb...I almost want to buy one of those little glass syrup dispensers to put it in for next time. —Victoria Ross
Orange Pecan Pancakes
teaspoons baking powder
tablespoons butter, melted
orange, juice and zest
cup pecans, chopped
cup brown sugar
- Do the syrup first--it can simmer while you put the pancakes together. Just put the brown sugar and water in a small saucepan and simmer gently while you make the pancakes. When the syrup is thick enough just turn off the heat.
- For the pancakes, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together the milk, egg, melted butter, orange juice and zest and the chopped pecans.
- Add the egg-milk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until mixed.
- Melt 2-3 T butter in a skillet and cook the pancakes. The second batch always comes out better than the first.
- Serve hot pancakes with warm syrup.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
More Great Recipes: