Author Notes: Happy National Grilled Cheese Day! Since we’re on a Hunger Games kick, this sandwich is also inspired by our culinary book of the month. It’s a hybrid between the fruit-and-nut bread with goat cheese that Gale and Katniss eat at the beginning of the first book, and the apple and goat cheese tarts that Peeta serves at his bakery. If you haven’t read Hunger Games, then this is just an unaffiliated, super classy Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwich on Cranberry Pecan Bread with Apples. Enjoy! —Fig Test Kitchen
Serves: 1, but easily multiplied
loaf Cranberry-Pecan bread, or any good quality fruit and nut bread
1 1/2 to 2
ounces goat cheese
- Slice bread into 1/2 inch pieces
- Spread goat cheese on one slice of bread
- Slice apple into 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch slices
- Place several slices on sandwich, and place another piece of bread on top.
- Melt 1/2 tbsp of butter in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat
- Cook sandwich until first side is just beginning to get toasty, then add a bit more butter and flip. Continue cooking and flipping relatively frequently until both sides are toasty and cheese is melty. You're done!