Author Notes: Growing up, I loved the idea of brownies: fudgy, chewy, chocolaty goodness to go. But, most recipes were disappointing: too sweet, too cake-like, too dry. This recipe, adapted from a recipe found on a box of Bakers' unsweetened chocolate squares, is perfect -- no matter who makes them. —annemai
Makes: approximately 16 squares
ounces unsweetened chocolate
teaspoon vanilla extract
cup unbleached flour
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter and flour an 8"x8' pan.
- Melt the butter and the chocolate in a double boiler. Set aside.
- Beat eggs with sugar til creamy and yellow.
- Add vanilla, chocolate and butter and mix thoroughly.
- Gently, fold in flour. Do not over mix; just fold until flour is blended in.
- Add chopped nuts, if desired
- Pour batter into pan
- Bake for 25 minutes. Brownies are done when toothpick comes out with dry crumbs on it.
- Cool and cut into 2" squares.