stalks fresh lemongrass
cup fresh verbena leaves, plus a few more for the glasses
cup fresh lemon balm leaves
Zest of 1 lemon
cup brewed black tea (not too strong), cooled
- Trim the ends of the lemongrass stalks, peel off a couple of the tough outer layers, and chop the core. Use a good sharp heavy knife to slice cleanly through the core—it's usually still kind of tough.
- Put the chopped lemongrass, lemon verbena, lemon balm, and lemon zest in a heatproof bowl—preferably one you can pour from easily. Pour 2 cups boiling water over the herbs and zest.
- Let the herbs steep for about 20 minutes (the fragrance will be heavenly). Pour the liquid through a strainer into a pitcher or spouted measuring cup, then stir in the sugar—about a tablespoon, or more if you like.
- Pour the liquid into 2 ice-filled glasses. Top each with about 1/2 cup black tea and put a sprig of lemon verbena in each—its fragrance will add to the pleasure of your sipping.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
More Great Recipes: