If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A classic cheeseburger that is loaded with caramelized onions, cheddar cheese, and surrounded by toasted marble rye bread. —Dax Phillips
slices of marble rye bread, about 1/2 thick
tablespoons unsalted butter
pound ground chuck, room temperature
tablespoons bacon drippings
teaspoons cracked black pepper
cup caramelized onions
slices of cheddar cheese
- Heat the bacon drippings on medium to high heat in a cast iron skillet.
- In the meantime, I gently formed the ground chuck into the shape of a football, and generously seasoned with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Once the pan was completely heated through, I added the ground chuck, searing and caramelizing it on one side. I then took my burger spatula and smashed it down, flattening it to the size of the rye bread. I let this cook for about 4 minutes total on one side, then flipped it over. Once flipped, add the caramelize onions to the top of the patty, covering the entire thing. Cook the patty another minute or so, before removing it from the heat.
- Next step is to get a nonstick skillet onto the burner, on medium to low heat. Butter one side of each rye bread. Place one slice, butter side down onto the skillet. Add 2 slices of the cheddar cheese, then place the patty on top of the cheese, onion side up. Add 2 more slices of cheddar cheese to the top of the onions, then place the other slice of bread, butter side up, on top.
- Cook this, lifting gently to make sure you do not burn the bread, every 30 seconds or so. Your goal is to not only toast the rye bread, but also get the cheddar cheese nice and melted. Once you have a nice golden toast on the first side of the rye bread, carefully flip it over and repeat on the second side.
- That’s it. This patty melt is done. Overall, this burger takes about 8 minutes to completely cook, which is no time at all. When you are ready to plate, slice the patty melt on the diagonal, and serve with a pickle and waffle fries.
More Great Recipes: