Author Notes: Growing up in Canada, Nutella was a staple in our cupboard! Spreading the chocolate hazelnut spread on toast, onto apples, used like hot fudge on ice cream or sneaking it straight from the jar, are great memories! It has always been a favorite.
As good as Nutella is (and I will always love the original) it is nice to feel good about eating it in abundance and giving it to your kids for breakfast. This is a Natural’ and ‘Vegan’ Nutella making it an option for all- unless you are my brother- in- law Seth who is allergic to chocolate… his poor poor soul!
But for all those chocolate lovers/but want to be health conscious folk out there….. here is Homemade All Natural Vegan Nutella! I have to say I may like this better than the original.
Note: Mine is a little more chunky than it needs to be, I just like it that way!
You can use cocoa nibs to make it extra special and healthy in place of cocoa powder —CoconutsandCardamom
Serves: 2 cups
1 1/2 cups
unrefined sugar (coconut, Sucanat, or other)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons
good quality cocoa or cocoa nibs
pure maple syrup (or agave, or honey but it will alter the taste)
coconuts oil (you can use, hazelnut oil, vegetable oil or peanut oil but coconut oil is the healthiest option)
vanilla or hazelnut extract
- If you need to toast your hazelnuts, preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Put hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 12 minutes.
- Once the hazelnuts have cooled enough to handle, wrap into a kitchen towel and rub roughly to remove the hazelnut skins. There will be some skins that will just not come off with easy and that’s okay- use anyway. Let cool completely.
- Next, in a food processor (or a really good blender-vita mix good) blend the hazel nuts until creamy like nut butter.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Spread over toast, fill a crepe, on top of ice cream, or eat out straight out of the jar!