If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Coconut flour has quickly become one of my favorite flours to play with. I wanted to create a recipe that featured this versatile flour in something savory. It works great in a lot of sweet treats but I wanted to see how it would shine in something other than cake or cookies. I was thrilled with how these scones turned out.These savory scones are best served warm with a dollop of butter and your favorite cup of tea. —La Phemme Phoodie
- 10 ounces Gluten-Free Flour Blend*
- 1.5 ounces Coconut Flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 4 ounces Unsalted Butter, chilled
- 2 ounces Goat Cheese, chilled and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Dried Rosemary
- 8 ounces Rice Milk, chilled
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour blend, coconut flour, xanthan gum and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry knife, fork or if you prefer you can also use your fingers. Continue until the mixture resembles a course cornmeal. You should not have large chunks of butter.
- Add the rosemary to the dry ingredients by slowly rubbing it between your fingers to activate the flavor as you break it up over the bowl and onto the dry ingredients. Whisk the rosemary into the dry ingredients until combined. Add the cheese crumbles and toss until the cheese is coated with the dry ingredients.
- Slowly pour the rice milk into the bowl. Stir the milk into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon. Stir until just combined. If the dough is too dry, you can add some rice milk. Coconut flour is one of the more absorbent flours so you may need to add a little milk to create a soft dough to work with.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface and gently flatten into a circle approximately 3/4-inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 equal triangles. Gently transfer the cut dough to a greased baking sheet. Make sure to separate the scones so that they have enough room to bake. If using a scone pan, gently shape triangles into prepared pan.
- Bake on top rack of oven at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until scones are light golden brown. Start checking at the 15 minute mark to monitor the color of the scones.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a rack to cool. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for approximately 1-2 days. These scones are best when served immediately.
- *Gluten-free flour blend: 11 ounces brown rice flour, 3.75 ounces potato starch and 1.40 ounces tapioca flour. Combine the ingredients and whisk together until combined. Measure out 10 ounces from the combined ingredients.
More Great Recipes:
Bread, Rolls & Muffins