Author Notes: One night I needed to use the strawberries I had and thought why not strawberry pudding. I first made this using cornstarch but the cornstarch took away from the pudding. It turned out well but just was lacking. Then after talking through it with my mother I decided to try Tapioca flour/Starch. I know this is not a common household ingredient but it is worth trying. It's used in gluten free baking and it a great thickener. —Amitha's Expression of Creativity
Serves: 4 to 6
cups strawberry purée
tablespoons tapioca flour/starch
cup lemon juice
tablespoon lemon zest
- In a medium saucepan mix the tapioca flour, sugar and salt.
- While mixing, slowly add the milk. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the strawberry purée.
- Turn on the stove to medium low heat and stir the mixture constantly.
- When the mixtures thickens to coat the back of the spoon or boils cook for two minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into the egg; return all to the pan, stir until well combined.
- Add back to the heat and cook for two minutes more stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and add, lemon juice, lemon zest and butter. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into individual cups and refrigerate until completely cooled. This will take 3 to 4 hours or overnight.