If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every family has it's "urban myths". This cake is one of mine. Apparently one of my family members (about 80 years ago) had dinner at the Waldorf-Astoria in NY. Dessert was a wonderful chocolate cake. My great aunt asked for the recipe and it was sent to her with a bill for $100.00. I have checked her recipe with Waldorf Astoria chocolate cake recipes and have concluded that either they have since changed their recipe or she tweaked the recipe herself...she was a chocolholic! —dymnyno
Serves a cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add beaten eggs
- Add melted chocolate
- Add all ingrediants alternately with milk.
- Fold in coarsely chopped nuts. After all ingredients are added and mixed , pour into two cake pans.
- Bake for 45 min or until a toothpick comes clean. Bake at 350 degrees.
- Chocolate frosting: 2/3 cup melted butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, 4 tbs. powdered chocolate, 4 tbs black coffee. Cook over low heat and cool and then frost.
- .When cakes are cool frost the cake. Put a lot on the first layer, add the second and then frost the second layer , letting the frosting drip over the sides.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate Cake