If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Dal Makhani is arguably the most popular vegetarian choice in India. Dal, meaning lentil and Makhani meaning buttery are the terms that this dish is named after due to its smooth silky texture, which is the hallmark of any good dal makhni. It can be enjoyed any time of the day and pairs really well with steamed rice. Its popularity has given rise to many personal recipes which are well guarded secrets that many chefs swear by. But you really don’t need to be a culinary expert to enjoy this king of Dals, Dal Makhni! —Ashish Negi
- 1 cup Whole Urad Dal (Black Lentils)
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Tomato Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Paste
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1 tablespoon Cream
- Boil the Dal and Rajma together for about 15 minutes or till they become soft and mushy. Keep aside.
- In a saucepan heat some ghee, when hot add cumin seeds.
- When cumin starts spluttering add chopped onions, saute till it turns soft.
- Add ginger and garlic paste, stir continuously to avoid the pastes from sticking to the pan. Cook for five minutes.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they become soft.
- To the softened tomatoes add salt, chilli powder and turmeric. cook for five more minutes.
- Add the boiled Dal and Rajma, stir nicely to mix in all the ingredients. Let it simmer for a while.
- Finish of the dal makhani by adding cream, mix again. Serve hot along with steamed rice.
- Tip- Add some more ghee(clarified butter) to the dal to enhance its taste further.