Author Notes: Sometimes when I get up in the morning there is a note on the kitchen counter from my 11 year old with a simple request of what she would like for breakfast.
The other morning the note said.
"Mom, will you make some biscuits this morning"
How to make biscuits was one of the first things that I learned during my culinary education in Granny's kitchen. According to my grandmother.. my great grandmother only required 3 ingredients to make her biscuits..
Flour, Sugar, and Cream
Mix in a bowl, roll them out... use cup to cut out biscuits.. then bake.. then eat.
So this has been the recipe that I have always used.. I've tried others.. actually tons.. I have 4 cookbooks dedicated to cooking nothing but biscuits.. but nothing quite gives me that warm fuzzy feeling like a batch of light and fluffy Cream Biscuits... with a little honey please..
When I started putting out those ingredients my eyes kept going to some leftover rosemary that I had.. so I gave into my curiousity..chopped it up and put some in the mix..
I'm glad I did.. and so was the little lady that made the request..
So the next morning the note said...
"Mom, can you make those biscuits with the green mary stuff again"
—Southern Girl's Kitchen
Makes: about 15-20 medium size biscuits
cups all purpose flour
tablespoon granulated sugar
cups heavy whipping cream
tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
- Pre-heat oven to 450 Lightly grease baking sheet with butter or coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar and rosemary. Pour in cream and fold together until soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead the dough gently about 6 or 7 times adding just enough flour to keep the dough from sticking to your hands.
- Roll or pat the dough to about 3/4 inches thick and cut out the biscuits using a biscuit or cookie cutter. My grandmother used to dip each end of the biscuits in melted butter before she place them on the baking sheet but my husband (for some strange reason)doesn't care for them this way. Feel free to add this step to your biscuits..
- Place on baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 10 -12 minutes. Then remove from the oven.