Author Notes: This recipe combines an old classic with something we all love and crave. Bacon Apple Pie is a simple and elegant recipe that anyone can make at home. So don't just sit there, because you have to try this delicious desert.
- 1 cup Butter
- 2 1/2 cups Pastry Flour
- 4 teaspoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 8 milliliters Vanilla Extract
- 60 milliliters Buttermilk or Water
- Mix the pastry flour, salt and sugar together; then sift.
- Cut cold butter into small cubs and blend it in with the flour using a pastry cutter or your fingers. Blend the butter with the dry ingredients until it is pea sized.
- Mixed the buttermilk with the vanilla and pour this mixture into your dry ingredient mixture. Ensure that the buttermilk or water is ice cold.
- Using your hands blend the liquid into the flour until the dough just comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for now.
- 7-8 pieces Bacon
- 1/3 cup White Sugar
- 1 Lemon
- 3 Grannysmith Apples
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Cloves
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven too 350F
- Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and place into a heated pan.
- After the bacon has started to golden on onside flip and sprinkle 1st sugar over the bacon. Cook until golden brown and remove from pan.
- Juice lemon into a small bowl.
- Peel and slice the Grannysmith apples into 1/4 inch pieces. Place the sliced apples immediately in the lemon juice and mix them.
- Add the 2nd white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves into the apples. Blend this with the apples and then add the cornstarch and mix it in.
- Get two small ramekins or small dishes of some sort that are oven proof. Get the Pie dough from the previous recipe out of the fridge and divide it into four. Roll all of these out one by one too just a little bigger than the size of your dish. Two of the pieces of dough being the bottom crust and two being the top crust.
- Grease your two dishes and lay the pie dough in each dish one at a time. Ensure to relax the dough and make sure it is resting evenly with the edges of the dish.
- Layer the apple mixture and the bacon in the two small dishes.
- Next, place the butter in pieces in the two dishes, followed by putting the top piece of pie dough on each pie.
- Use your finger to press the bottom piece of dough and the top piece of dough together, sealing it all around the edges. Cut of any excess dough and fold in the edges around the pies.
- Cut 3-4 holes in the top of each pie. Beat an egg and use a brush to egg-wash the top of each pie.
- Place in the oven and bake at 350F for around 45 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring