Author Notes: Serve this bechamel on chicken, pork, beef, wild game, or fish over a bed of wild rice.
Read more about juniper berries here: http://samanthamenzies.com/home/2012/06/juniper-berry-bechamel/ —Samantha Angela
Makes: about 2 cups
spring of fresh rosemary
tablespoons (heaping) all purpose flour
cup plain yoghurt
tablespoon lemon juice
teaspoon sea salt
- Grind the juniper berries and rosemary in a spice grinder or mortar & pestle until very fine.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook until it turns a light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, stir the milk, yoghurt, and lemon juice together in a separate bowl.
- Once the roux is golden brown, add the milk mixture tablespoon by tablespoon. Whisk continuously until very smooth, adding more milk if the mixture is too thick. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes and remove from heat. Season with salt, rosemary, and juniper.
- Serve warm over your favourite meat or fish dish.