If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Adapted from Kitchenist's guest turn on the Etsy blog to be a tad healthier (read: no butter) and to use up some of the extra cornmeal in the pantry.
Original recipe here: http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2010/guest-curator-on-creativity-and-savoury-broccoli-cakes/ —Tanya A.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 12 broccoli florets, trimmed to fit inside a muffin cup
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or line your muffin pan.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and blanch the broccoli florets for about 3 minutes. Remove from the pot, rinse in cold water, pat dry, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Slowly add in the egg, canola oil, and milk. Mix well to form a dough.
- Place on spoonful of batter into the base of each muffin cup (you may want to press down with your fingers to fill the base). In each cup, stand one broccoli floret. Top with another heaping spoonful of batter, so that each cup has a base, one floret, and a top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown and a little stiff to the touch. Allow to cool before eating, and feel free to eat them all in one day!